If you are preparing for abdominoplasty surgery, also known as a tummy tuck, there are a few important things that you should keep in mind regarding your recovery.
Though you should expect to need about 12 weeks to make a full recovery, most people return to normal activities in 1-2 weeks. Your body is using significant energy to heal during this time, so it may be 1-2 months until you can do everything you did preoperatively without feeling tired. This time frame could be longer or shorter depending on the level of correction made and your overall health status prior to surgery. By managing these expectations you can better prepare both your household and your mind for recovery.
Other tips include:
- Plan for recovery as you would plan to recover from childbirth. While the treatment is not the same, you may be equally as uncomfortable and moving slowly. We recommend arranging for childcare if needed, plan meals ahead so they can be reheated and easily prepared, and consider hiring someone to help with household chores. It may also take some time for you to be interested in shopping, so be sure to stock up on groceries an other necessities prior to surgery.
- Consider your wardrobe. It is helpful to have a go-to uniform for your recovery period. Plan to wear loose and soft clothing such as soft, stretching leggings or sweatpants. Loose and soft tee shirts will be most comfortable for covering your swollen abdomen.
- Keep your home extra clean. While recovery from major surgery you are more susceptible to colds, viruses and other infections. Stock up on hand sanitizer and antibacterial soap and even body wash. Also be sure to ask your surgeon what supplies you will need to keep your incisions clean.
- Stay hydrated! Drink lots of water following surgery and limit your salt intake to reduce the risk of swelling.
- Engage in light physical activity every day, slowing increasing the amount of work each week. Try to walk for 15 minutes every 2-3 hours in the early days following surgery.
- Avoid driving for two weeks following surgery.
If you have more questions regarding your recovery from tummy tuck surgery – contact our office today.